Larkin Hoffman Daly & Lindgren Ltd. was founded more than 50 years ago by Jim Larkin and Bob Hoffman with a commitment to deliver excellent legal services to clients, charge reasonable fees, encourage creative thinking and give back to the community.
Hoffman believed that establishing the firm near a bank in a small town would be the best location for success. By doing so, he predicted the firm would be positively associated with the security and stability of the bank while benefiting from the referrals a small-town atmosphere would foster. When Larkin and Hoffman joined forces in 1958, this prediction came true. Minneapolis – hardly a small town even then – did have a number of suburbs that retained a small-town feel. Among these was the then small town of Edina, which was gaining national recognition as the home of Southdale Center, the first enclosed shopping mall in the nation. Southdale not only provided the small town atmosphere and captive audience that Hoffman sought, but offered affordable space adjacent to a bank. While the office and furnishings were modest, Larkin Hoffman was on its way to becoming one of the Twin Cities’ major law firms.
After the addition of partners Jack Daly in 1958 and Ken Lindgren in 1960 along with eight associates, Larkin Hoffman Daly & Lindgren Ltd. began to establish its reputation as an excellent emerging law firm in the eyes of the community’s decision makers, both in business and in politics. In 1972, the firm moved its offices to its current location in the Wells Fargo Plaza in Bloomington. Today it is the largest firm in Bloomington, the state’s largest suburban city, and the largest Minnesota firm located outside the downtown areas of Minneapolis and St. Paul. By 1980, Larkin Hoffman was home to 50 attorneys and, while priding itself on being a full-service law firm, had made a distinctive name for itself in two key practice areas: land use development and government relations.