Alexander J. Beeby is a litigator who helps business owners and managers to resolve disputes regarding employment, bankruptcy and other areas of their business.
Alex focuses on complex bankruptcy matters, including adversary cases and Chapter 11 reorganization, and bankruptcy-related matters, including complex post-judgment collections, fraudulent transfers and receiverships. He also advises employers regarding wrongful discharge and discrimination issues and other labor and employment matters.
Alex worked as a founding manager of a successful food cooperative and administered phone and data networks for small and large businesses. While in law school, he worked for state and federal judges, in a county prosecutor's office and at Larkin Hoffman. Alex provides pro bono representation for victims of domestic abuse through the Tubman Safety Project and asylum applicants through the Advocates for Human Rights.
Bankruptcy and Corporate Litigation
- Successfully defended client, in bankruptcy court and on appeal, against creditor’s attempt to exclude debt from discharge.
- Successfully defended client in appeal of bankruptcy trustee’s attempt to claw back money paid to client by a debtor pre-petition.
- Successfully represented creditor in post-judgment garnishment and fraudulent-transfer collection after original debtor liquidated.
- Represented and advised clients regarding various corporate fraudulent-transfer, derivative, contract, eviction, and other disputes in state and federal court.
Bankruptcy and Receivership
- Represented Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 debtors.
- Represented creditors of Chapter 7, 11, and 13 debtors.
- Represented receivers of businesses during property-foreclosure redemption period.
Labor and Employment
- Advised and helped defend client against union’s wrongful termination claim.
- Advised helped defend client against National Labor Relations Board union-recognition claim.
- Advised clients regarding federal, state, and local human rights issues in business and education.
- Advised clients regarding employment, labor, and education-related compliance issues.
View All Related Experience
- Minnesota, 2016
- Montana, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 2016
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2016
- Augsburg Alumni Board (2017-present)
- Mitchell Hamline Alumni Board (2014-present)
- City of Northfield, head election judge (2004-present)
- Humphrey Institute Policy Fellows Program, fellow (2006-2007)
- Northfield Charter Commission, chair (2005-2007)
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, St. Paul, MN; 2016, J.D., summa cum laude
- Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN; 2010, B.A., magna cum laude, History and Honors Religion
Prior Professional Experience
- Law Clerk, Larkin Hoffman
- Extern, Rice County Attorney's Office
- Extern, Judge Donovan Frank, U.S. District Court (Minnesota)
- Law Student Clerk, Judges Joseph Bueltel and Karen Duncan, Steele County District Court
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Citizens League