Gary A. Van Cleve is a seasoned trial attorney and an appellate advocate handling a full range of real estate-related litigation. Gary focuses on representing property owners in: (1) condemnation actions where either the government or a utility company takes private property for a public use through its power of eminent domain, (2) land use disputes with local governments typically involving zoning or permitting issues, and (3) property tax appeals. Gary is the chair of Larkin Hoffman’s real estate litigation practice group.
- Compensation for Property Taken. Obtained a $650,000 jury award in March 2016 for a Rochester property owner and developer whose access to a highway frontage road was taken by the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT).
- Inverse Condemnation Claim. Won summary judgment in December 2015 on an inverse condemnation claim in which the court held that the loss of the client’s highway access was a compensable taking of a property right and ordered MnDOT to commence condemnation proceedings to determine the just compensation that must be paid to the client for the loss of access.
- Assignment of Maintenance Responsibility. Won summary judgment for a property owner who was fighting to have his township accept maintenance responsibility for a new road built by MnDOT to replace a direct highway access for his business that was taken by MnDOT for highway improvements.
- Property Tax Appeal – Fortune 500 Company. Successfully negotiated a property tax appeal settlement for a portion of the Twin Cities-based corporate headquarters of a Fortune 500 company that resulted in more than $800,000 in property tax savings to the client.
- Property Tax Counsel to Fortune 100 Company. Representing Twin Cities-based Fortune 100 company on property tax issues and appeals for more than 20 properties, including corporate headquarters.
- Government Permitting. Ongoing representation of industrial sand mining client in litigation in Wisconsin on local government permitting issues.
View All Related Experience
Prior Professional Experience
- Former Adjunct Professor, Land Use Law, University of St. Thomas Law School
- Former Special Assistant Attorney General, State of Minnesota
- Former Law Clerk, Senior U.S. District Judge William C. Hanson, Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
Professional Associations & Memberships