Kate G. Westad has a national practice litigating vaccine-adverse-reaction claims with the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims in Washington D.C. Kate also represents clients in complex civil litigation matters, including catastrophic loss, wrongful death, personal injury, product liability and medical malpractice cases as well as first party insurance claims.
Vaccine Adverse Reaction Claims
Kate has vast experience selecting and using experts in all phases of the vaccine program. These include medical causation experts located in the U.S. and throughout the world, as well as damage experts such as life care planners and economists. When representing clients in vaccine claims, Kate’s attorneys’ fees and costs are fully paid by the vaccine program for vaccine injured petitioners so long as there is a reasonable basis to bring a claim. She handles claims in the contiguous United States, Alaska, Hawaii and all U.S. trust territories. She has both resolved complex cases without a hearing and presented evidence at hearings.
Catastrophic Loss, Wrongful Death, Personal Injury, Product Liability, and Medical Malpractice
- Handles multimillion dollar settlement negotiations and has obtained settlements for both children and adults.
- Handles complex civil litigation in both state and federal court and in multiple jurisdictions with an extensive motion practice history.
- Tried multiple jury trials to conclusion as first-chair attorney.
First-Party Insurance Claims
- Successful resolution of multiple first-party commercial fire loss cases, with claims totaling in excess of $5 million, including a favorable arbitration ruling.
- Resolved ERISA long-term disability benefit cases, including in federal court, which resulted in confidential settlements.
- Minnesota, 2003
- U.S. District Court of Minnesota, 2005
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2012
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, St. Paul, MN; 2002 J.D.
- St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN; 1998 B.A., Political Science, Economics
- Super Lawyer ®, Super Lawyers magazine, 2014-present
- Rising Star,® Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2013
- Up & Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2009
- Lawsuit of the Year, personal injury, Law & Politics magazine, 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Vaccine Injured Petitioners Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers, former Board Member
- Minnesota Association of Justice, Board of Governors
- American Association for Justice
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association