Paul T. Meyer practices in all areas of construction law including construction claims and litigation, design professional law, surety law, alternative dispute resolution, and mechanic’s liens and bonds. He has more than 30 years of experience representing contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, owners, public entities, sureties, and others involved in the construction and design industry. Paul is also a registered professional engineer and practiced as a design and consulting engineer before starting his law practice. His engineering practice included project design, preparation of plans and specifications, and construction administration for civil engineering projects.
As a construction attorney who has also practiced as a professional engineer, Paul has substantial experience in resolving design and construction disputes. He has represented contractors, subcontractors, owners and design professionals in numerous types of construction related projects such as highway, sewer and water, wastewater, water treatment, water pumping and storage, ethanol plants, and commercial buildings.
- Ethanol facility. Represented general contractor and settled litigated claims against owner for changes, delays and disruption regarding construction of ethanol facility.
- Wastewater treatment facility. Represented public owner in litigated dispute against owner’s engineer regarding deficiencies with wastewater treatment facility.
- Public transportation. Investigated and provided recommendations regarding the “Responsibility” of an engineering firm that the owner contemplated retaining for a substantial public transportation project.
- Mechanic’s liens and payment bonds. Represented numerous contractors in mechanic’s lien and payment bond litigation matters.
- Highway improvement project. Represented subcontractor by way of claims prosecution agreement in settlement of litigated claims against public owner on full-depth reclamation highway improvement project.
- International airport runway. Negotiated contract change order on behalf of a general contractor regarding substantial owner directed delay for re-construction of international airport runway.
- Bid disputes and protests. Represented contractors in bid dispute, protest and responsibility determinations.
- Contractor claims. Represented contractors in construction claims against owners and governmental entities for highway, street, water, wastewater, sewer and water and storm sewer and drainage projects.