Our firm strives to create an attractive environment for professionals as diverse as the world in which we live and the clients we serve. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is much more than written policies and mission statements. We continuously undertake strategic efforts to advance diversity and foster a respectful, equitable and inclusive workplace. Our diversity and inclusion efforts are led by our Diversity Committee, which includes both associates and shareholders, as well as senior staff. Larkin also has a Diverse Attorneys Resource Group which provides a support network for racially/ethnically diverse and openly LGBTQ attorneys as further support for its diversity and inclusion efforts. The following are some of our diversity and inclusion highlights:
Retention & Advancement
- The firm belongs to Twin Cities Diversity in Practice. One of our associates serves on the organization’s Emerging Leaders Group which provides business development, mentorship and networking opportunities for newer attorneys of color in the Twin Cities. Our Director of Administration serves as the Firm’s Member Representative.
- We are committed to providing equal advancement opportunities for all of our attorneys and staff and strive to provide equal access to all work and cultural opportunities inside and outside of the Firm.
- Associate attorneys participate in a formal mentoring program that fosters substantive working relationships across all skill levels.
- Associate attorneys within three years of shareholder consideration move to our sponsorship program. Each associate attorney is paired with a successful veteran attorney who is personally invested in the future success of the associate and has the ability to assist the associate move his or her career forward.
- We provide regular workflow meetings between department heads and associates to ensure an equal division of work and equal access to opportunities.
- We have a generous paid parental leave policy for associates who become parents, through either birth or adoption.
- Our “Lunch on Larkin” program fosters inclusion by encouraging professionals in different practice groups to get to know one another over lunch.
- 100 percent of our female attorneys are members of Minnesota Women Lawyers, actively engaged in mentoring students in our legal community and exchanging insights with members in affinity groups that address meaningful matters, including parenting for working professionals.
Education & Awareness
- The firm was an early supporter of LGBT organizations like Philanthrofund Foundation, Human Rights Campaign, Minnesota AIDS Project, and Outfront Minnesota.
- We participated in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Ashley Rukes GLBT Pride Parades.
- Larkin Hoffman has co-sponsored the Annual Minnesota Lavender Bar Association Conference since 2016.
- We were the first law firm in our market to launch a professional women’s networking event hosted by our women attorneys. We host an event every year.
- We encourage all firm members and their families to participate in a community service event on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Most recently, we volunteered our time at Bridging.
- We provide diversity and inclusion training opportunities for our professionals to learn more about themselves, their colleagues and the clients we serve.
- Firm Attorney Nic Puechner serves on the board of directors for the Minnesota Lavender Bar Association.
- Our Director of Administration, Mariel Piilola, is the past chair of the Association of Legal Administrators’ Committee on Diversity and Inclusion and co-authored the ALA Diversity Toolkit, published in the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession’s IILP Review 2017: The State of Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession.
- Firm Attorney Victoria Dutcher has twice been awarded the Benjamin B. Ferencz Fellowship in Human Rights and Law by the human rights organization, World Without Genocide. She also sits on the Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association Executive Board.