Sawan Patel helps businesses grow by protecting their interests, promoting and selling their products and services, and franchising their brands. Clients appreciate his ability to provide legal solutions that make practical business sense and his responsiveness.
As a business and franchise lawyer, Sawan ensures that his clients are protected—from startup through all phases of their growth. He advises clients on entity formation, contract review and drafting, commercial transactions, and purchases and sales of businesses. He works with businesses to promote and sell their products and services, including through contests and sweepstakes, product warranties, and other sale terms and conditions. For businesses looking to grow and expand, Sawan provides legal advice on growth strategies such as distribution and sale arrangements and franchising. He counsels franchisors in structuring and operating their franchise systems by advising start-up franchisors in creating franchise systems and preparing annual franchise disclosure documents and registrations for established franchisors.
- Entity formation. Represent entrepreneurs in entity formations, including LLCs and corporations.
- Corporate governance. Advise clients in corporate governance and compliance matters, including governing resolutions, restructurings, buy-sell agreements, and ownership transfers.
- Mergers and acquisitions. Counsel clients during asset and business purchases and sales and mergers and acquisitions.
- Purchases and sales. Represent clients in purchases and sales of equipment and other property.
- Terms and Conditions. Develop product warranties and disclaimers, including under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act for manufacturers, distributors, and retailers, and terms and conditions of purchase and sale and for online applications.
- Contests and sweepstakes. Structure contests and sweepstakes, draft rules under state anti-gambling laws, and draft gift card/certificate disclaimers under gift card laws for retailers and franchisors.
- Structure new franchise systems. Represent a variety of clients in franchising their brands, including preparation of initial franchise disclosure documents.
- Franchise and disclosure documents. Amend and update annual franchise disclosure documents, draft and revise franchise agreements, and register franchise offerings.
- Franchise system acquisitions and sales. Represent franchisors in acquisitions and sales of franchise systems and in conducting franchise due diligence.
- Sales representation arrangements. Represent clients in sales representation arrangements under state commission dealership laws.
- Supply arrangements. Represent distributors in distributor and supply arrangements (both domestic and international).
View All Related Experience
Professional Associations & Memberships