- Appellate Advice & Advocacy
- Competitive Practices/Unfair Competition
- Corporate and Finance
- Employment, Labor and Benefits
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Intellectual Property and Technology Litigation
- Privacy and Data Security
- Shareholder Disputes
- Employment and Labor Litigation
John A. Kvinge represents clients facing complex legal matters including contractual disputes; closely-held business buyout litigation; trade secret, copyright and other intellectual property disputes; employment discrimination defense; medical and professional licensing board inquiries; and appeals. John delivers efficient and effective representation in the midst of challenging, multifaceted litigation.
Closely-Held Business Disputes
- Represented founding member of a professional firm who was terminated by the co-owners of the company and forced out of management. When the company sought to redeem his ownership interest at a discounted valuation, we brought suit and obtained court order requiring the company to pay fair value.
- Represented a closely held corporation in business valuation trial, obtaining dismissal of derivative claims against corporation and majority shareholders, and court-ordered sale of minority shareholder’s interest.
- Represented a 50-percent shareholder of a technology company who was frozen out of management and wrongfully accused of theft of trade secrets.
- Co-author of appellate briefs for contract dispute case in which the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court held, in favor of client, that a condition precedent in a contract may be excused to prevent disproportionate forfeiture. Capistrant v. Lifetouch National School Studios, Inc., 916 N.W.2d 23 (Minn. 2018).
- Co-author of appellate briefs for employment case in which the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court held, in favor of client, that there is no duty to engage in an interactive process to determine a reasonable accommodation under the Minnesota Human Rights Act. McBee v. Team Industries, Inc., ___ N.W.2d ___ (Minn. 2019).
General Business Litigation
- Represented business consulting company in lawsuit brought by former customer, and obtained dismissal based on broad release of claims granted in prior derivative litigation involving customer.
- Represented a small business in dispute with former supplier involving allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, defamation, fabricated contracts and millions of dollars in damages. A jury trial resulted in a complete victory for our client.
- Represented a technology company in lawsuit against a foreign manufacturer for defective products.
Premises Liability and Personal Injury Defense
- Represented a regional retailer in complex personal injury case with claimed damages of more than $1.6 million. A trial resulted in a complete defense victory in which the court determined the retailer had used safe and reasonable practices, and the plaintiff’s claimed damages were not caused by the incident.
- Represented a retailer in a case involving alleged traumatic brain injury of a minor while shopping with parents.
- Defended computer recycling company against claims of copyright and trademark infringement.
- Represented an e-commerce management company following customer’s early termination of multi-year service contract and claim of ownership over valuable intellectual property.
Professional Licensing and Insurance Credentialing
- Represent doctors, dentists, and other licensed professionals in matters involving professional board disciplinary inquiries, and denials or termination of insurance network participation.
View All Related Experience
Professional Associations & Memberships