Paul A. Godfread focuses his practice on the areas of trademark, copyright, and internet law including both transactions and litigation. He has prior business experience in information technology. He has legal experience in internet issues that relate to business and intellectual property law.
- Represented companies in proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Licensed trademarks for use in joint ventures and affiliates.
- Negotiated co-existence agreements, settlements, and related agreements.
- Substantial experience in all aspects of trademark prosecution before the USPTO.
- Search and clearance opinions for the use of trademarks.
Paul has maintained an active practice and interest in the intersection of law and technology. He has represented businesses and individuals to create website policies and procedures. He has experience in the enforcement of copyrights and trademarks online.
- Successfully removed infringing content via DMCA takedown notices
- Protected the First Amendment rights of bloggers through litigation including an appeal setting precedent relating to tortious interference and free speech.
- Drafted terms of service and privacy policies for web-based businesses and successfully enforced those policies in court.
- Vacated temporary restraining orders based on online speech.
- Experience coordinating enforcement efforts with online intermediaries such as Amazon, Facebook, and Google.
- Counseled clients on compliance with data privacy laws and regulations.
Paul has litigation experience especially in the areas of intellectual property and business litigation.
- First chair experience with trials, evidentiary hearings, and appeals.
- Extensive experience with pre-Rule 26 conference early discovery subpoenas and motions to quash for internet subscriber information.
- Successfully obtained a preliminary and permanent injunction for a client based on copyright and trade secret misappropriation.
- District of Minnesota
- District of Colorado
- Western District of Wisconsin
- District of North Dakota
- William Mitchell College of Law, 2008 J.D.
- Saint Olaf College, 2001 B.A.
- Adjunct professor, Mitchell Hamline College of Law teaching Trademark Law, Intellectual Property Advocacy, IP Moot Court Coach
Professional Associations & Memberships
- International Trademark Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Computer and Technology Law Section
- American Bar Association, Cyberspace Law